November 4, 2008

XX Files

Soup's On
We are all hungry, but for what?

By Wanda Fleming
Washington Post Magazine
Sunday, October 26, 2008; Page W31

"Spies always make the worst soup," Darryl mutters. "You're obviously a spy."

Until now, I've been the shelter's helium balloon. I've floated above it all, a yellow smiley face stamped on a Mylar disc. Now I stand accused of espionage and, worse, lousy soup-making. I drift to the floor.

No other volunteer experience has prepared me for this one, not the Earth Day cleanups or candy striping at the children's hospital or the food bank distribution of cornflakes and diapers. All three ventures unfolded the same way: the assisted bubbling over with thanks. This one's different...

Read the rest at the Washington Post Magazine: Continue reading here ... http://www.washingtonpost.com NOTE!: You must type: Soup's On into the search engine and go from there.